November 27, 2016

Christmas Market and Spree Socks

One of my dreams is to visit the Christmas Markets held in Germany each year. However, with the job I have I am never able to travel in early December.  The closest I can get is the Toronto Christmas Market held annually in the Distillery District.  It is one of the Christmas activities that my family enjoys doing together each year.   I think the best time is to go in the evening to see all the amazing lights.  This year the event seemed better than ever.

every Christmas market needs a fabulous tree










an orange snowman!


a lovely outdoor bar




a forest of pink Christmas trees



And as for knitting this week I needed a diversion.  I ended up digging into my stash and whipping up this crazy pair of socks.  This is a great free pattern for using up the variegated DK or worsted weight yarn in your stash.  It would be a perfect gift since it is a fast knit and creates such a cozy sock to wear on those cold days.

Pattern:  Spree Socks 
Designer:  Kemper Way
Needles:  3.25mm and 3.5mm
Yarn:  Madelinetosh DK Twist
Colourway:  Electric Rainbow
Notes:  Instead of the 18 rows suggested I knit 25 rows for a bit of a longer sock.



I hope you all had a great week and had time to do something fun for yourself. Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. So many beautiful things - I'm green with envy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your socks and all those glittery magical pictures of the market. We love our Christmas markets. But the big ones can be a little overwhealming with all those beautiful things for sale and those sweets. There is a small one though just round the corner with only three stalls of handmade gifts and toys of natural materials. The mulled wine is yummy and there is always a warm open fire burning. I love sitting there, watching the flames, talking to strangers and neighbours while the girls ride the big wooden rocking horses. I'll try to take some pictures next time we go :-)
    Lena x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a dream come true for me. I would absolutely love to see the pictures.

      Delete
  3. Love your pictures, so colorful and festive! It looks like a great market.
    And thanks for a new project of socks in my queue : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Those socks knit up so quickly...no need for second sock syndrome.

      Delete
  4. Looks so festive! Definitely puts you in Christmas mood. I love that they sell matreshkas :) The socks look like a great relaxing project to rest your mind, but keep the hands busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alina! It definitely got me in the Christmas spirit.

      Delete
  5. oh wow those Christmas market photos make me feel so festive. Looks like a wonderful place to visit.

    Love the colours in your sock

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Evelyn! It was a lot of fun. I bought that yarn on a whim and wasn't sure what to do with it....the socks were the perfect solution for me.

    ReplyDelete