December 25, 2018

Sweet Georgia Yarns Advent Calendar 2018

I was lucky enough to buy one of the Sweet Georgia Yarns Advent Calendar this year.  It contained 24 boxes, most of which contained mini skeins of yarn such as Sweet Georgia's CashLuxe Spark, Tough Love Sock and Silk Mist.  It also came with a shawl pattern, but instead I decided to knit some Jolly Wee Elves with this gorgeous yarn.  

Advent Box

Pattern: Jolly Wee Elf

Designer:  Churchmouse Yarns and Teas

YarnSweet Georgia Tough Love Sock (80% Merino, 20% Nylon)
Sweet Georgia Silk Mist (60% Mohair, 40% Silk)
Sweet Georgia CashLuxe Spark (80% Merino, 10% Stellina, 10% Cashmere)
Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light (100% Merino) in Antler for face
Rowan Kidsilk Haze (70% mohair 30% silk) #665 Hibiscus (for one of the scarves)

Clearwater in CashLuxe Spark

Whitewater in Silk Mist




Needles: 2.5mm

Ravelry: see notes here

Added Notes:  
1.  I started a new tradition last year and decided that every Christmas season I would knit a few elves to add to my collection.  I don't know what it is about these tiny elves, but I just love knitting them.  It takes me about two hours for each elf, and to me it is worth the time.  I thought the Advent skeins would be perfect for the Jolly Wee Elf pattern.






I used these elves to decorate my table at Christmas time:





2.  This was the first year I have ordered a yarn Advent Calendar, and I found it a great way to explore different yarn bases and colourways.  It was also fun to open a surprise each day during such a busy month. After working with each skein I know I would love to order a sweater's quantity of the colourway Hudson, and to knit a shawl with the colourway Sapphire in CashLuxe Spark.  

3.  Next year I would like to try and knit some bigger elves using different weight yarn.  This pattern is perfect for using up leftover yarns and the possible colour combinations are endless.  What's next up on my needles?  I have two other patterns that I would like to try.  One is the newly published Gnome pattern by Susan B. Anderson.  It is offered at half price until December 31st if you are interested.  The other is Scintillation by Hunter Hammerson, a beautiful star pattern that looks like a lot of fun.  What are your knitting plans to close up the year?
























.






5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, what an amazing advent calendar, I'd love that- had no idea Sweet Georgia had those! And your little elves are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! It was a lot of fun to see the variety of colours and yarns each day. A little treat to myself : )

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for an advent calendar. I would love that. I like the little elves you have made too.

    ReplyDelete