July 7, 2019

F.O. Ranunculus by Midori Hirose

Pattern:  Ranunculus
Ranunculus

Designer: Midori Hirose  (website:  Knit Cafe Midori)

YarnCamellia Fiber Co. CFC Flax DK  (50% Alpaca 25% Linen 25% Silk) 270yards (2 skeins)
Camellia Fiber Co. CFC Flax DK

Colourway:  Cenote


Needles:  6.00 mm

Ravelry:  see notes

Added Notes:

1.  I have had Ranunculus in my queue for some time but I couldn't figure out what yarn I wanted knit it with.  I finally spotted, deep in my stash, three skeins of Camellia Fiber Co. CFC Flax DK that I thought might work well.  I got gauge on 6mm needles and I loved the fabric it created.  This yarn consists of such an interesting combination of fibers, creating a fabric that is airy and drapey, with a beautiful halo, and so soft against the skin.  Surprisingly this pattern uses up very little yarn and I ended up only using two of my skeins.  If Camellia Fiber Co. yarn is new to you check out their website here.  The yarn is absolutely gorgeous and hand dyed in small batches.



2.  This pattern was fun and so quick to knit, taking me only about a week.  The pattern was well written and easy to follow, and I can see why many people have made more than one version. This is definitely not a beginner pattern as there are a number of techniques used that are not beginner friendly, such as German short rows, as well as lace stitches.  However, the pattern is so well written that an adventurous beginner could figure it all out, using the video links in the pattern to assist with the tricky bits.

3.  I knit the short sleeved version of Ranunculus.  The only modification I made to the pattern was to add length. I knit my sweater 10 inches from the underarm with a twisted rib of 3 inches.  After blocking the length only increased by one inch and I was super happy with the fit.  The original pattern comes in one size but there is also an added modified pattern for larger bust sizes 38 to 48".  There is also a long sleeved version.   

4. Is there another Ranunculus in my future...absolutely!  It is one of those patterns where you have instant gratification as it is so fun and quick.  I definitely want to knit it again, experimenting with a different yarn.  There are so many beautiful versions on Ravelry I definitely recommend you have a look for inspiration.

5 comments:

  1. i have been wanting to knit this in some yarn i have in the exact same color! thanks for sharing your thoughts on the patter. your ranunculus is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You won't be disappointed!!! This yarn is so lovely against the skin.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! I wish you would post more

    ReplyDelete