November 2, 2019

Visiting Loop London & Shell Cottage Socks

On a recent trip to London I had the pleasure of visiting Loop London, a yarn store located a short walk from the Angel Tube Station.  Although I visited right after the store opened for the day, it was already quite busy, with locals, as well as many tourists like me.  

I don't know what other knitters do, but I have learned to prepare myself before visiting a yarn shop on my travels.  I research what unique items the yarn shop carries that aren't available at home.  I find that having a list helps me focus when I enter one of these stores, as every coherent thought seems to leave my mind as I immerse myself in all the delights the store has to offer.  The list helps me to chose my yarn thoughtfully.

Loop is a cosy, two floored store with yarns from around the world. Fingering and lace weight yarn are located on the main floor, while heavier weight yarns and an awesome collection of books and patterns, are found upstairs. 

The main floor:

Yaku Blanket

Snail Yarn


Jamieson's of Shetland




Upstairs:





An amazing selection of books and patterns

Ito Sensai Mohair + Silk

La Bien Aimée


Harlequin Blanket

To be honest I had planned to buy a sweater's quantity of yarn from Loop.  But when I converted the cost of six skeins of yarn to Canadian dollars I changed my mind. However, I did not go home empty handed:

I bought a few skeins of La Bien Aimée which I already have planned projects for.
La Bien Aimée Merino DK
Colour:  Doe

La Bien Aimée Mohair Silk
Colour:  Vespa

La Bien Aimée Merino Single
Colour:  Peerie Voe
On the long flight from Canada to London I worked monogamously on my Shell Cottage Socks by Helen Stewart, and finally finished them shortly after I have returned home. I really admire people who knit lace socks at a quick pace.  Everytime I cast on a pair it takes me quite a while to finish. I knit these socks in Hedgehog Fibres Sock in the colourway Jelly.  The pattern is well written using the percentage system that Helen Stewart is famous for.  The lace pattern is easy to knit, but it took me a lot longer to finish them than I originally thought.  This is my first time using Hedgehog Fibres Sock and I was not too impressed.  Maybe it was the particular skein I had, but I found the yarn split very easily, and I needed to knit with very pointy needles to help compensate for that.  The finished socks are so pretty and I know I will enjoy wearing them.  However, I think my next pair of socks will be a plain vanilla pattern.  

Shell Cottage Socks

Lastly, I want to share with you the cutest sheep cup I found in Marks and Spencers.



Of course I couldn't leave London without it!  If you are planning a trip to London don't miss out on Loop London.  It's worth the visit.














No comments:

Post a Comment