March 23, 2014

On the Needles: Line Break, Sea Stones, Brush Creek Shawlette

When I got back into knitting a few years ago I was a one project at a time kind of girl.  I was very disciplined and would not start a new project until I finished the one on the needles.  It actually was very motivating to finish the current project when I had found a new project that I was anxious to start. I always marvelled at how some people could have numerous projects on the go.  But, somehow along the way I changed my rules.  Now I always have one mindless project on the go...one that I can pick up when I am too tired to focus on pattern directions.  I always promise myself to knit a few rows daily from this project and slowly, but surely, it gets done.  For the last couple months it was my Easy Folded Poncho.  Now that it is complete I am working on Veera Valimaki's Line Break in Malabrigo Sock in Primavera.  Isn't it pretty?
Malabrigo Sock in Primavera
I love the colours in this yarn and it makes me very happy whenever I pick my needles up to knit with it.

Another project I am working on is Melissa Schaschwary's Sea Stones in Rowan Creative Focus Worsted (75% Wool 25% Alpaca).  I bought this yarn a year ago when I was travelling in London and had the pleasure of shopping in Liberty London.  They have a wonderful craft floor with all the infamous Liberty fabric as well as a huge display of Rowan yarns and patterns.
Liberty



Just one part of the yarn selection at Liberty
Rowan Creative Focus Worsted

Since I bought this yarn I have looked for a pattern that would suit it.  I started knitting a cardigan...starting with the sleeves first, but I quickly came to the conclusion that I was making a very warm sweater, a little too warm for what I wanted.  I tried looking for a vest or something similar...and then Sea Stones by Melissa Schaschwary was released.  It is a short sleeved cardigan with some A-line shaping.  I have to be honest and admit I am not a big fan of this yarn.  Although I love the colour this yarn splits very easily and is extremely difficult to rip out if you make an error.  It is also very itchy but I think it will work okay with this pattern.

The third pattern I am working on is the Brush Creek Cowlette by Carina Spencer, a beautiful lacy cowlette that looks like a shawlette when worn. The pattern was released this month and it uses three different colours of fingering weight yarn (70m, 90m, 115m), making it a great stashbuster.  Although this pattern is not hard to follow it does require my concentration, which I seem to be lacking lately.
Brush Creek Cowlette

So there you have it...a few projects I am currently working on.  I already have a few other patterns matched with yarn ready to start as well.  If there were only a few more hours each day....
I hope you all find time to work on projects that make you happy this week.

2 comments:

  1. You almost killed me with the pics from London! Sounds like it was a great vacation. Vera is one of my favorite designers --along with Jane Richmond and Carrie Bostick Hoge, and many others :-) I love all your projects!! Can't wait to see more pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kind. It was a great trip that's for sure. By the way, you were the one who gave me the idea to knit Line Break with my Malabrigo...so thanks for that suggestion : )

    ReplyDelete