July 31, 2018

F.O. Timely by Libby Jonson

Primrose Yarn Adelaide
Hello everyone!  I hope you are all enjoying your summer.  I have been quiet here on the blog, but let me assure you, I have been busy knitting away.

My latest finished object is my Timely Cardigan.  At first I started knitting the shawl Assana with these two yarns, but although I loved the colour combination, I lost interest in knitting the pattern.

Primrose Yarns Adelaide & Hazel Knits Entice


First attempt:  Assana
I didn't want to waste this yarn, and so I looked at my very long Ravelry queue, and decided on the Timely cardigan.  It is a well written pattern and I am very happy with the result.


Pattern:  Timely

Designer:  Libby Jonson

Yarn:  Primrose Yarn Co. Adelaide (100% Merino)
Colourway:  In Between the Lines (2 skeins)
First skein of "In Between the Lines
Second skein of "In Between the Lines"

YarnHazel Knits Entice MCN (70% Merino 20% Cashmere 10% Nylon)
Colourway:  White Winged Dove (2 skeins)

Yarn:  Madelinetosh Merino Light (100% Merino)
Colourway: Antler (1 skein)
Needles:  2.75, 3, 3.25, 3.5mm

Ravelry:  See my notes here.

Added Notes:

1.  Have you ever knit a cardigan with a single ply before?  I have learnt over the years that single ply is not the best for cardigan knitting, as it pills a lot quicker than plied yarn.  However, I think pairing the single ply yarn (Primrose Yarn) with the plied yarn (Hazel Knits) will hopefully result in a cardigan that doesn't pill as much.


2.  There was a colour variation between skeins of both the Primrose Yarn, and to a slight extent, the Hazel Knits.  As a result I decided to alternate the four skeins for each row.  I am not going to lie...it was a pain.  Often the yarns would get tangled and with a single ply the yarn sticks more and needed to be pulled apart.  However, I kept telling myself that it would be worth it.  


3.  This is the first cardigan that I knit that I did not swatch for.  Since it is a top down cardigan I knew I could try it on as I went, and luckily it worked out well. I modified a few things...I decided I wanted a longer cardigan, so I knit about ten extra striped rows in the body, and I knit one less inch of the ribbing.  Also, I made full length sleeves as that is my preferred sleeve.  I also did the ribbing on the hem with Madelinetosh Merino Light in Antler, as I did not think I had enough of the Hazel Knits to complete the cardigan.  Surprisingly, I used almost the whole skein.  


4.  Knitting a fingering cardigan is a commitment.  It takes way longer to knit than any other weighted cardigan.  However, it is the most wearable of all the yarn weights as far as I am concerned.  I am super pleased it is done and love the result.  But I definitely need a break from fingering weight sweaters for a while.


If you like the look of the Timely Cardigan but don't want to invest the time knitting a fingering weight cardigan I heard that a DK version of the pattern will be released sometime around November.  How exciting!  It is the perfect stashbuster.

Happy knitting!




7 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing - it is beautiful ! These colours together are magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Timely and I learnt something new so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your cardigan is stunning. I love the colours together! Somehow I often struggle with stripes because of the yarn I have to carry along, I always get a tense line where I change colours. I really have to find out how to do that more neatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne : ) I struggle with that line as well, especially in the sleeve. Hopefully no one notices but me.

      Delete
  4. how gorgeous! definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete