February 19, 2019

F.O. Vertices Unite by Stephen West

Spring weather is still a distant dream here in the Toronto area, so I decided to cast on a pattern that I knew would help me chase away my winter blues.  Vertices Unite, designed in 2014, by Stephen West is a popular pattern, and has been in my queue since it was published. I felt it was time that I made one for myself.  I dug deep into my stash and chose some speckled skeins I had been saving.  The combination of knitting a Stephen West pattern with beautiful coloured yarn, had the desired effect of putting me into a great mood. 

There are currently 2526 Vertices Unite pattern pages on Ravelry.  The popularity of this pattern is well deserved.  The pattern is easily modified to create any size shawl you desire. It can be knit with a variety of colours or with just one colour and still look awesome. This makes it a great stashbuster.  The shawl is one of those shapes that is easy to style.  Here's my version:

Pattern:  Vertices Unite

Vertices Unite
Designer: Stephen West

Yarn
Section 1:  Hedgehog Fibres Sock (90 % Merino 10% nylon)  Bubble
Section 2:  Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label (80% Merino 20% nylon)  Lemongrass &
Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light (100% Fingering)  Robin's Egg


Bubble (top) and Bounce (bottom)
Section 3:  Hedgehog Fibres Skinny Singles (100% Merino) Boombox
Boombox
Section 4:  Flock Fibre Studio Take A Hike Sock (80% Merino 20% Nylon) Feeling Lucky

Section 5:  Hedgehog Fibres Skinny Singles:  Bounce
Section 6:  Ancient Yarns Socknado Twister (80% Merino 20% nylon) I Met Stephen West and I Liked It (this was a sample given out at Knit City 2017)




Border:  Madelinetosh Tosh Sock (100% Merino) Button Jar Blue


Needles: 3.5mm


Ravelry:  my notes


Added Notes:  

1.  I wanted to knit a medium sized shawl and so I knit Section One to 76 stitches.  Once that decision is made the rest of the pattern is easy to modify.

2.  Stephen West striped three of the six sections.   I only striped Section 2.

3.  Section One and Section Three used the most yarn.  Some Project Pages list specific weights used of each yarn if you are interested in that information.


4.  I thought the I-cord bind-off border really made the shawl look great.  It is very time consuming to do but so worth the effort. The border used up 13 grams of yarn.

5.  If you are interested, Stephen West has come out with two different versions of this popular shawl.  There is Textures Unite, a shawl knit in fingering weight yarn exploring different stitches for each section, and recently he published the Vertices Unite Baby Blanket knit in DK weight yarn

Vertices Unite
Let me assure you that while I am waiting for spring to happen around here, I will be wearing this shawl often.  It's amazing how knitting a great pattern with some gorgeous yarn can change someone's mood.  Now I will return to finishing up some projects on the needles before I cast on anymore spring projects.  

Happy knitting and stay warm






No comments:

Post a Comment