May 25, 2014

MadMay 2014: Setting Goals

Do not underestimate the power of setting goals for yourself.  As I get older this belief has proven to be true again and again.  Even when it comes to knitting!  This month I joined the MadMay group on Ravelry.  For those of you unaware of this glorious group let me explain.  Basically it means that for the month of May you commit to knitting a pattern(s) with Madelinetosh Yarn.  Last May I knit two items:  my version of Happy Street in Madelinetosh Sock.
Happy Street

And Arbutus in a pretty colourway called Cove.
Arbutus in Tosh DK

This year I challenged myself to knit a seamed cardigan called the Jackson Creek Cardigan using Tosh DK in Silver Fox.  For some knitters completing a cardigan in a month would be no big deal.  For me it is a different story.  Although I am a highly enthusiastic knitter I am not the quickest knitter and so completing a sweater while working full time is challenging.  However, once I committed to doing this I am proud to say that it looks like I am going to get it done by the deadline of May 30th.

The pattern I chose is written by a Canadian from Hamilton named Glenna C. who has written many beautiful patterns including the Northside Pullover, Dundurn and Queen St. Mitts (which I knit some time ago).  I have almost finished this cardigan because I have been knitting like a mad woman.  This pattern was clearly written and easy to follow.  I am really hoping this cardigan will fit me properly as I have a habit of knitting sweaters that are too big.  Madelinetosh DK has grown considerably in other patterns I have knit so hopefully I picked the right size and needles.  Yes I did do a gauge swatch but I am still nervous.

Here is a picture of where it was a week ago.
Jackson Creek Cardigan
I had the fronts and the back done and was working on the sleeves.  Now I am happy to tell you that everything but the sleeves are finished.  The sleeves need to be seamed and then attached to the sweater and I will be done.  Done!

I really must set some more goals for myself.  It works!

p.s. I have yet to try it on so whether it will fit well or not is another story.
p.p.s.  I will show you the finished sweater next weekend.
Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment