June 22, 2014

First Day of Summer

Saturday turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous day and my husband and I decided to forget about our weekend chores and simply enjoy ourselves.  It was one of those days where everything fell into place.  It all started when I read the Blue Brick blog.  In a post the writer, Shireen Nadir, mentioned that she would be in Niagara-on-the-Lake in an Art Show at Frogpond Winery selling some of her jewellery.  This blogger is a favourite of mine because not only is she a knitter, but she takes amazing photos and designs very unique jewellery.  So we decided to go down and check it out.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I only got a few photos from my phone.  I had the pleasure of meeting Shireen and she was kind enough to take a photo with me.

Shireen Nadir and me!
Here is a sample of her jewellery:
Blue Brick jewellery
 It was hard to choose but this is the necklace I ended up buying:



Since we were in Niagara we couldn't leave without checking out my favourite Ontario winery called Colaneri Estate Winery where we enjoyed a delicious pizza and a glass of wine looking out over the vineyard, followed by a lovely wine tasting.  There I bumped into a very good friend of mine and had a good chat with her.  

On the way home my husband surprised me and stopped by a yarn store that I have always wanted to visit in Ancaster called The Needle Emporium.  Talk about a great selection of yarn, especially the largest variety of Madelinetosh I have ever seen available in the GTA. The store has everything from Madelinetosh, Rowan, Lorna's Laces, and Spud & Chloe just to name a few.  This store also carries the new line of Mrs. Crosby, a brand just introduced by Lorna's Laces.  Here is a shawl called Groovy I just finished in Mrs. Crosby Carpet Bag, a DK weighted yarn in 80% merino and 20% silk blend.  

Groovy in Mrs. Crosby "Carpet Bag"

I really enjoyed knitting with this yarn. The colours available are quite beautiful and the colourway I chose is a slightly variegated turquoise blue called Sunset Regatta.  The store is definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area.  I really like that the owner had a huge amount of knitted samples which helps when making yarn buying decisions.  Once we got home we had a delicious barbeque and then I sat and knitted outside until the light started to fade.  What a peaceful day.  I hope you enjoyed the first day of summer too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine! It was such a pleasure to meet you! Your shawl is gorgeous, and you make me want to schedule another trip out there to visit the needle emporium :)

    ReplyDelete