May 9, 2015

Happy Mother's Day




Happy Mother's Day to all those that mother someone.  I still miss my mother terribly...she passed away nine years ago.  I have had the pleasure of mothering a son and a daughter.  I can't believe how quickly time flies as my son is now 22 years old and my daughter is 19.  I am proud to say how amazing these two individuals are and how lucky I have been to be part of seeing them grow.  So to all you young mothers out there try hard to enjoy each day with your kids because it's so true what they say...they grow so quickly and before you know it they are adults.   Here is what I have learned:

1)  Let your children hear you say that you love them. My husband and I said it so many times over the years to our children, that they are very comfortable and say it often to us.  What a thrill!

2)  Make rules for your children.  They really do want rules.  Don't be influenced by their friends' parents rules...listen to your gut about what's right for your family.  They will thank you later.

3)  Try to really focus on them, put away the technology and be present for your child.  I can't tell you how many of my students complain that it is hard for them to get their parents to listen to them.  They want to be heard.

4)  Celebrate your child's successes.

5) Teach them it's o.k. to make a mistake.  Guide them to learn from their mistakes so they don't repeat the same mistake again.

6)  Let your child explore their interests.  You never know what it will lead to.

7)  Spend time with your kids.  They are really interesting individuals.

8)  Eat dinner together as much as possible.  That dinner conversation is so important.

9)  Don't ever think motherhood is easy.  It's not.  But it's oh so rewarding.

10)  Don't shelter them from disappointments.  It's better to learn early that things don't always go their way.

11)  Teach them, by example, to help others.

12)  Read to them even when they are 12 years old.

13)  Let go of the mother guilt.  The fact that your child is being brought up in a loving home makes them so fortunate.

My sweeties

Well that's just a few of the things I learned.  I could keep on going!  I am sure all you mothers out there could add to my list too!

I hope you all enjoy your special day.  Happy Mother's Day everyone!  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment