May 24, 2015

Sock Knitting: It was inevitable

Well I can't take it anymore.  I have knit sweaters, cardigans, scarves, shawls, hats and mittens.  But I have resisted knitting socks.  I have long admired the beautiful sock patterns available, but the thought of those tiny needles, those tiny stitches, those hours spent knitting something that no one would ever see prevented me from knitting them. Then a few things happened to make me change my mind.  My lovely mother-in-law recently knit me a pair of socks, and once I put them on, I just loved wearing them.

Sweet Fiber Yarns Super Sweet Sock

Then when I saw this lovely skein of sock yarn arrive in my mailbox I knew I couldn't resist any longer.  I decided the time had come for me to join in and knit my first pair with this gorgeous yarn above. 

Wildflowers colourway

I joined Sweet Fiber Arts Yarns five month long Sock Club.  As you all know I am a big fan of this yarn line and I couldn't resist signing up.  This first installment is the May colourway called Wildflowers in Super Sweet Sock.  I thought I would knit shawls, etc. with these yarns.  But once I saw this colourway I knew this was the skein I had to knit socks with.  So I will start out knitting a very basic sock pattern by Susan B. Anderson, nothing fancy.  I think this colourway is so pretty that a simple pattern will really show off the colourway.



I have watched the Craftsy video on My First Socks with Lucy Neatby knitting socks to get me started and received some very good tips there.  Stay tuned and please follow woolercoaster on Instagram as I will be posting my progress.  I hope you are enjoying your knitting as much as I am!





































7 comments:

  1. yay! I am sure you will knit gorgeous socks. Love the yarn...so tempted to check that club....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I love it so far...especially when you have such an interesting colourway!

      Delete
  2. oh wow, that skein looks SO beautiful!! I love the colours, can't wait to see how the socks knit up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is pretty! I wish there were more hours in a day to knit :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful skein of yarn! Welcome to the wonderful world of hand knitted socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I was just checking out your new book "The New Sock Anatomy". Your book publication was very timely! I will definitely be ordering it off of Ravelry...it looks like it will be a great help on my sock journey. Congratulations!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete