March 6, 2018

F.O. Burr by Véronik Avery

Pattern:  Burr from Brooklyn Tweed Fall 2012
              

Designer:  Véronik Avery

YarnGreen Mountain Spinnery Mewesic (100% wool, DK weight)
Colourway:  Purple Haze

Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic

Purple Haze

Needles:  4.0mm

Ravelry:  my notes

Added Notes:

1.  It feels so good to finish a project that has been a work in progress for some time.  I started Burr in August 2017.  I knit the back and then got distracted by other knitting projects.  Fast forward to February when I decided to join the Ravellenic Games 2018 Knit Along. 



The Ravellenic Games' purpose was to challenge Ravelry members to finish a project during the 2018 Winter Olympics.  I picked the category of WIPs and challenged myself to finish my Burr cardigan by the end of Closing Ceremonies.  It was not easy to reach my goal, but thankfully I finished it on the last day.  I find that setting goals is super motivating for me in all areas of my life, I really should do it more often.
Back

2.  The Burr Cardigan is seamed.  Once all the pieces are knit, the fronts are seamed to the back, and then the ribbing for the collar and the button band is completed.  Although there are many advantages of a seamed cardigan, the hard part is not being able to try it on as you go.  This pattern was written with an intended ease of 4-5 inches which is what I think I achieved.  However, I think I would have preferred less ease if I had to do it all over.  

Preblocking
3.  Veronik Avery's pattern is well written ad easy to follow.  I appreciate how she added a lot of  pretty details.  For example, look at the detail around the collar:

There was only one direction that confused me, and after searching the forums for an answer with no success, I emailed Brooklyn Tweed my question.  I was so impressed when I received a helpful reply so promptly.  In my experience I have found Brooklyn Tweed patterns to be high quality, from the detailed way the pattern is written to the support available through the Brooklyn Tweed website.

4.  Modifications were few.  Many knitters had warned that the sleeves came out rather tight so I spaced my increases closer together (every six rows).  I probably could have done increases eight rows apart and that would have worked too.  I knit the shortest length of sleeves, but after blocking the sleeves were too long on me.  I could have knit them an inch shorter.  What I like about this pattern is how versatile the cardigan is.  You can dress it up or wear it with jeans and it looks great.

5. I really enjoyed knitting with Green Mountain Spinnery Mewesic Yarn, a gorgeous tweedy yarn.  The flecks of colour found in this yarn added an extra depth to the cardigan.  Mewesic is available in many gorgeous colours and I would highly recommend it to you. This pattern originally called for Brooklyn Tweed Loft held double, but I was able to get gauge with the yarn I used and I am pleased with how it knit up.




What does a knitter do once she gets a cardigan off the needles....cast on for two more of course.  More on that later...xo





2 comments: